Thanks for visiting Birthing from the Soul Doula Services!
What is a Doula?
A doula is a professionally trained childbirth assistant who works with the mother and father/partner throughout pregnancy, labour and birth. Doulas provide informational, emotional, and physical support to help the pregnant couple make informed decisions as they arise in labour. Doulas provide reassurance and perspective to the birthing woman/couple, make suggestions to help labour progress, help with relaxation and positioning and provide other techniques to increase comfort.
Who Needs a Doula?
Every pregnant woman needs a doula! I’ve worked with first time moms and moms who’ve had children. I’m not sure which of these groups of moms benefit more from working with a Doula. Each woman, pregnancy, labour and birth is unique. There is one common thread that occurs after each birth that I attend. After every birth I receive hugs from both the mom and her partner as each of them exclaim that they couldn’t have done it without me and that they’ll never forget our time together!
Why Work With a Doula?
According to recent studies, women who had Doulas with them during childbirth experienced the following:
- cesarean births reduced by 50%
- length of labour shortened by 25%
- increases fathers/partners participation in birth
- 30% less usage of pain medication
- 60% fewer requests for epidurals
- higher rates of breastfeeding
- increased positive maternal confidence
- decreased rates of postpartum depression
If you’d like to learn more about the benefits of working with a Doula you can read the following:
- Mothering the Mother: How a Doula Can Help You Have a Shorter, Easier and Healthier Birth
- The Doula Book: How a Trained Labor Companion Can Help You Have a Shorter, Easier and Healthier Birth
Please contact us to discover more about our services or for additional information.